Your Mini is renowned for its sporty handling, maneuverability, and customization options. The high-performance standards and smooth driving experience make it one of the most sought-after cars in the world. As fun and efficient as your Mini can be, it is still susceptible to an ignition coil failure.
The ignition coil’s primary function is to keep the spark plug running. Your Mini Cooper engine could be rendered useless if the ignition coil fails. As a result, warning signs of a faulty ignition coil in your vehicle should not be ignored, and immediate action should be taken to keep the ignition coil operational. You must understand what an ignition coil is, what it does, and what the warning signs of an imminent failure might be.
The Role of an Ignition Coil
The ignition coil is an induction coil that helps to amplify the voltage provided by your car’s battery to a higher voltage. The high voltage electricity is then used to provide enough power for the spark plug to create a spark that will ignite the fuel within the car engine, beginning the combustion cycle.
The ignition coil enhances the driving experience of your Mini. It ensures the car keeps running smoothly. Failure of the ignition coil would cause your car to experience poor acceleration and reduced gas mileage.
Minis are known to have ignition coil issues, to be able to avoid any impending failure, ensure that your Mini is carefully and thoroughly inspected by a Mini specialist.
Possible Causes of a Faulty Ignition Coil
The ignition coil, like every other engine component of your Mini, is susceptible to failure, and different factors can result in its failure or damage. The following eventualities can give us a clear picture of how your Mini can experience a low or depleted performance as a result of a failed ignition coil.
- Short Circuits: Every electronic part is prone to having short circuits. The ignition coil is not left out as it is also an electronic part. Short circuits in ignition coils are a result of coil overheating, which can be caused by increased engine temperatures, module failure, ECU issues, or worn-out coils.
- Mechanical Damage: This is a result of the damage to the ignition cables, which was due to a failed valve cover gasket. It can also be caused by damaged insulation or engine oil leaks. Ignition coil damage can render the ignition coil inoperable and dangerous, as the risk of spark increases exponentially.
- Contact Faults: High humidity in the car’s engine can result in the corrosion of the ignition coils’ contacts, thereby leading to reduced conductivity. The high humidity in the engine is the result of engine washing.
Signs and Symptoms of a Faulty Ignition Coil
When the ignition coil fails or is about to fail, the driver is usually notified by a series of clear signs, which must be addressed immediately to prevent further damage.
- Check Engine Light Illuminates: When an ignition coil in your Mini becomes faulty, the engine will misfire and the check engine light in the instrument cluster will be turned on. Connecting an OBD2 scanner to your vehicle will allow you to perform additional diagnostics. Any error code ranging from P0300 to P0312 indicates that the engine is misfiring. It is possible, however, that no error codes are present. If in doubt, inspect the ignition coils and replace them if they are found to be defective.
- Vibrating Engine: While driving your Mini, if you notice that the engine vibrates or shudders more intensely. It is an indication that some of its delicate interior parts, like the ignition coil, are damaged.
- Engine Misfiring: A Mini with faulty ignition coils will experience engine misfiring. Attempting to start such a car’s engine will result in engine misfiring, which will sound like a sputtering or coughing noise. The vehicle’s behavior will exhibit jerking and spitting while being driven at high speeds. When idling at a stop sign or light, a Mini with a faulty ignition coil will experience vibration.
Automotive Professionals in Royal Palm Beach for Your Mini
If your Mini is dealing with a failed or faulty ignition coil failure, our automotive specialists at Milestone Motors can assist you. Our mission is to diagnose and repair problems as soon as possible to get you back on the road before they have a significant negative impact on your daily life.
In our industry, we make sure we get the job right at the first visit. We offer parts and reconditioning services in addition to servicing and repairing Minis and other European vehicles. We were one of the first MINI dealerships in Royal Palm Beach and we proudly serve the surrounding communities like Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, and Wellington.
We are here to help, whether you need emergency services or routine maintenance, so call us or come by today to make an appointment!