Many car owners are intimidated by the thought of car repairs, believing that they are best left to the professionals. However, there are a number of car repairs that can be easily carried out by even the most inexperienced car owner.
For example, one car repair that can be done at home is changing the oil. This process simply requires draining the old oil from your BMW and then adding new oil.
Another car repair that can be done at home is replacing a flat tire. This process requires removing the flat tire and then putting on a new tire. Though these car repairs may seem daunting, they are actually quite simple to do and can save car owners a significant amount of money. Let’s look closer.
Five DIY Repairs You Can Do for Your BMW
If you’re handy with a wrench and don’t mind getting your hands dirty, there are several car repairs you can do at home. Below are five of the most common car repairs that can be done without taking your car to the mechanic.
- Replacing the brakes: If your car’s brakes are worn out, you can replace them yourself. First, remove the wheel and tire to access the brake assembly. Then, disconnect the brake line from the brake caliper and remove the caliper. Next, remove the old brake pads and install new ones. Finally, reassemble everything and put the wheel back on. While it is possible to do this yourself, it does take the right tools and knowledge. Since we’re taking about your safety, be sure to visit us for proper brake replacement if you have any doubts on DIY for this topic.
- Changing the oil: You can change your car’s oil yourself if you have the right tools and know how to do it. First, warm up your engine to help loosen the oil. Then, place a drain pan under the car and remove the oil plug to drain the old oil. Next, remove the oil filter and replace it with a new one. Finally, add new oil to the car until it reaches the full mark on the dipstick.
- Replacing the headlights: If your car’s headlights are burned out, you can replace them yourself. First, locate the headlight assembly and disconnect the electrical connector. Then, remove the bolts that hold the assembly in place and remove the old headlight. To install the new headlight, simply reverse these steps. You may need a socket wrench and the knowledge, but your owner’s manual should have instructions on how to perform this. If you are unsure, we’re here to assist.
- Fixing a flat tire: If you have a flat tire, you can change it yourself if you have a spare tire and know how to do it. Simply loosen the lug nuts with a wrench, remove the flat tire, put on the spare tire, and tighten the lug nuts back on. While this doesn’t take any unique equipment, it can be dirty, greasy, and hard to manage, so if you’re in doubt, bring it to us for a quick tire change.
- Replacing the battery: If your car battery dies, you can replace it yourself. First, disconnect the negative terminal of the old battery. Then, disconnect the positive terminal and remove the old battery. To install the new battery, connect the positive terminal first, followed by the negative terminal. If you’re not comfortable working with electronics, we understand. The wrong move can short out your entire dashboard and wiring bundle. We are here to service your BMW if you want us to handle your car battery.
Milestone Motors: BMW Certified Specialists
At Milestone Motors, we recognize how difficult and uncomfortable taking your car to the shop can be, and we aim to change that. No matter how big or small the job your automobile requires, we want your visit to Milestone Motors to be as easy and hassle-free as possible.
We have the latest factory-grade tools and equipment and employ OEM Parts for all our repairs. Since our inception, we have been assisting BMW and MINI drivers from all around Royal Palm Beach, FL, and the surrounding areas of Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, and Wellington. So please call or visit our shop to schedule an appointment today. We look forward to earning your business!
* BMW Car image credit goes to: Sitthipong Pengjan.